Saturday, May 30, 2009

at 18



when i first met jon, he was small. he was maybe 9? years old and as small as a june bug. i remember him with braces and glasses though he may have been older than that when those occurred. either way, in my mind's eye i still picture him that way. not like the strapping young man you see before you. suddenly he is taller than me, more handsome than me and can text my fingers into oblivion.

 how did this happen? i don't remember getting older, when did they? (enter fiddler on the roof serenade). plus his sunglasses are way cooler than mine. basically, he has me beat on all fronts. fetch. 

jon is lynnie's son and if you know lynnie, you have somewhere along the lines had your ear talked off and played several games. you have probably also told her your life story, been severely entertained and walked away with a great friend. she's a riot. she's the life of the party and is not afraid to speak her mind. so when she emailed me and asked if she should come to the photo shoot with her little boy, i politely told her that maybe she should send one of his friends:). i can say this to her because she's lynnie and she's my husband's aunt, and she's hilarious and she knows that she would go through his bag before he left and try to chose his clothes and tell him to fix his hair the whole shoot. she knows this. which is one of the things i love about her.

what she didn't know however, was how much she would love the pictures (her words not mine). how much she would love the clothes he chose. the style, the feel, the sunglasses. and that by allowing him to decide without her, she would always be able to look back and see jonny how he really was.
at 18. 
before he left for college. before he started dressing in suits. 

before he fully became a man. 

so to lynnie. thank you for letting jon come without you-though i know you were dying to be there. thank you for raising such a nice young gentleman. 

and thank you for letting me capture your little boy. 



p.s. frank, you're all right too :). thanks for taking this ding-a-ling to buy a new battery mid shoot. whoops!
p.s.s. ladies if you want his digits, let me know.....
Photobucket
senior
Photobucket
Photobucket
senior
senior
senior
Photobucket
senior
senior
senior
senior

9 comments:

Frank Dawg said...

Thanks Amy for capturing my little boy in such great photos you are awesome, not only as a photographer but 8 years with Nate!!, you need some kind of metal for that. Just so you know, everyone and I do mean everyone that looks at Jonny’s pictures and the family photos on our wall, they all want to know who the photographer was. So for a small commission I’ll start telling them. You’re the best.

lynnie said...

well .... I am talking everyone's ear off .... and telling them for free !!! I LOVE you because you KNOW me and still love me ! hee hee Thanks for the beautifully written excerpt .

The Little's said...

That was very well written... it brought a little tear to my eye. I really love these pictures, they turned out awesome!! You are lucky you had someone so cute to shoot.

Kamerin Tangaro said...

Amy,
GREAT WORK as always. This is Kamerin Tangaro and I am wondering the status on the Maggie and Nathanial Noyes wedding photos from May 9th.
Are you putting up on the blog?
Thanks and you are totally awesome.

Kelly Lewis said...

I LOVE these! The style and locations are perfect.

Tacey said...

Holy cow Amy! What the heck were you doing at a workshop??? You certainly didn't need it...Great, great work....wow. Cheers lady!

Melissa Dunstan said...

I love these photos! You really captured the essence of this young man. Nice location choices too, you've inspired my next senior session!

Sami said...

Killer shots! It's so hard to shoot teen boys but you did awesome!

Kriea Arie said...

Nice post! I love everything about it!